Voya Financial™ is committed to conducting its business responsibly, and fundamental to that is environmental protection. As a result, we critically review our business activities to discover ways in which we can decrease our negative impact. In doing so, Voya Financial measures:
- Energy Consumption
- Waste Reduction
- Paper Consumption
- Travel Reduction
The measurement of activities in these areas requires a spectrum of programs that comprehensively address our business operations. They are depicted in the matrix below:
Default Double-sided Printing
Business Air & Car Travel
FSC Certified Paper
Automatic Sensor Faucets
2013 Environmental Achievement Highlights
- 39% energy reduction since 2007;
- Implemented power management technology on computers, monitors and printers;
- Raised building temperatures during summer months to 75 degrees Fahrenheit and lowered temperatures during the winter months to 70 degrees.
Investment in Green Energy
- 100% wind REC (renewable energy certificate) purchase;
- Reached a milestone 8th year of purchasing renewable energy credits, covering 100% of Voya Financial’s (formerly ING U.S.) energy consumption.
“Reduce, Re-use, Recycle” Efforts
- “Bring Your Own Mug” program;
- West Chester office implemented pilot composting program and increased building recycling ratio to 77%;
- Use of remanufactured furniture;
- Enterprise wide print management strategy to reduce power and waste;
- 57 tons of e-waste diverted from landfill through partnership with Intechra.
- 24% reduction in water use since 2008, or 5 million gallons.
- Duplex printing implemented on 97% of printers, increased from 38%, through SmartPrint project;
- Paper purchase policy instituted whereby paper manufactured with a minimum of 30% recycled paper and FSC certified is our standard;
- 64% reduction in paper use since 2007, equaling 357 tons.
- 48% reduction in air miles flown since 2007, or 26.8 million miles;
- 35% reduction in business miles driven since 2007, or 2.4 million miles.
Virtually Orange and Work-From-Home Programs
- 17% of the total employee population worked remotely;
- 15,000,000 employee commuting miles reduced through Virtually Orange programs (employees who work from home )in 2013 (calculated using 35-mile roundtrip);
- Approximately 1,200 employees and 500 contractors worked Virtually Orange, 265% increase since 2007;
- Approximately 400 additional employees work from home each day through flexible arrangements.
- Orange Goes Green employee teams at all major sites;
- Orange Goes Green 2013 survey indicated 22% of our employees use public transportation, carpool and other carbon reducing methods such as walking or biking