ING U.S. is committed to conducting its business responsibly and environmental protection is a fundamental part of this commitment. We make decisions about environmental sustainability every day – which is why we are part of a worldwide dialogue that addresses climate change. Wherever we work, we strive to prevent, manage and reduce the environmental impact caused by our operations.
ING U.S.'s environmental strategy includes:
- increasing energy efficiency/reducing energy consumption
- investing in green energy
- practicing the three Rs: reduce, reuse and recycle
- promoting awareness
To these ends, we are increasing our workplace energy efficiency by evaluating heating and cooling systems and schedules, recalibrating building systems controls, and installing more efficient lighting systems. And, we work to reduce energy consumption by installing such proven technologies as motion sensors, daylight timers, dimmable ballasts, compact fluorescent light bulbs, and building-wide energy management systems. We also conserve water by installing high-efficiency/low-flow plumbing fixtures and automatic shut-off faucets.
Our aggressive environmental sustainability program has had impressive results. Since 2007:
- We’ve experienced a 59% reduction in paper consumption
- We’ve reduced energy use by 31%
- We’ve seen a 57% reduction in landfill waste from our major offices
- We’ve reduced business-related miles driven by 50% and air miles flown by 28%
- We’ve made small changes that have resulted in a 20% reduction of water use since 2008, equating to 4.6 million gallons saved.
The three Rs: Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
ING U.S. practices company-wide policies to reduce waste, reuse items whenever possible, and recycle all appropriate materials. For example, paper reduction strategies and an office supply repository help reduce consumption and promote reuse. Recycling centers for cardboard, glass, aluminum, batteries, cell phones, and other items are onsite at most work locations.60362099999